Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Week 8 - Web 2.0 Awards

This assignment was really interesting because I got to explore areas of my choosing. The sites were award winners which meant they had to be the best of the best. I first chose to look at the book category. The first place winner was Lulu. I spent some time searching through the site, seeing what it had to offer. I was amazed that you could publish your own books on this site. I'm not much of a writer myself but this could be a site that I would recommend to patrons and friends who are looking to write and publish.
Next I thought it was time to have fun and checked out the fun category. Cocktail Builder was the first and though I'm not a drinker myself I thought it was interesting that you could build your own cocktail by just listing several ingredients you might have around your house. Another site I liked in this category was One Sentence. I found this one fascinating. You are suppose to tell a story in one sentence. I read all of the entries and thought how difficult it is to limit yourself to one sentence. Yet people did it and told some interesting, creative stories. This would be a great activity for a writing class. Sometime I might go back and write my own and post it.
I then went to a category that is very much unlike one that I would normally choose, games. I seldom spend any time playing computer games but these were really fun. These were on the site Arca Play. I played Guess the Google (which I was not very good at) and Quick Pic which was a kind of memory game and did much better. I don't know if I'll go back to them (time is precious) but they were fun if a little frustrating.
Besides referring patrons to these sights you could use them in possible programming.

No comments: